Syrian army seizes only road into rebel-held Aleppo

2016-07-18 07:53:23 | Syrian News @ Al-Muslim News
Syrian army seizes only road into rebel-held Aleppo
Syrian army seizes only road into rebel-held Aleppo

 

BEIRUT: Syria’s army and allied militia fighters seized the only road into the rebel-held part of Aleppo on Sunday, tightening a siege around opposition areas of the northern city, which President Bashar al-Assad has pledged to recapture.

Aleppo has been a major battlefield of Syria’s civil war since rebels swept into it in the summer of 2012, and an opposition defeat there would mark their biggest setback in five years of conflict.

Nearly two weeks ago, pro-government forces advanced to positions overlooking the road, effectively cutting it off — although some trucks still braved the hazardous route last week, an opposition official in Aleppo said.

Four rebel sources said that the army, backed by militias and fighters from Lebanon’s Hezbollah, advanced to the road itself on Sunday. “They’ve reached the road, it’s completely cut,” Zakaria Malahifji of the Aleppo-based rebel group Fastaqim told Reuters.

The other Aleppo-based rebel sources, including members of the Levant Front and Nur Al Din Zinki armed groups, confirmed that pro-government forces had reached the road. “It’s a disaster, but we’ll see how the battle ends. I don’t know whether they will push them back or it will stay like this,” Malahifji said.

A local rebel command centre warned people not to use the road after several residents trying to flee in minibuses and cars came under fire from pro-government forces, rebels said.

Sixteen rebel fighters were killed in the clashes around the Castello Road and nearby districts on Sunday, Syrian state media and the British-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said. They did not give figures for losses on the government side.

Fighting continued through the day and one rebel group, Jaysh al-Nasr, said the insurgents retook some territory.

But another rebel commander said the government had launched an “all-out offensive”, using heavy artillery, planes and tanks, on the last rebel supply route, saying it marked the start of a complete siege of the opposition in Aleppo.

“We are now besieged and you don’t have any tunnel or any strategic stockpile that lasts for long ... only for two or three months to feed 300,000 people,” the commander, who asked not to be identified, told Reuters.

Ref: DAW News

.

Tags: #

Latest News

What to Next

Russian foreign minister says US ready to continue talks

MOSCOW: Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said on Sunday he believed his US colleagues were ready to continue dialogue with Moscow on complex iss... More

BJP keen to amend law on permanent residence in held Kashmir

NEW DELHI: Away from the attention that Article 370 attracts, some members and supporters of the Bha­ratiya Janata Party (BJP) are steadily pushin... More

North Korea defiant after new sanctions, rejects talks

SEOUL (AFP):North Korea on Monday angrily insisted tough new United Nations sanctions would not stop it from developing its nuclear arsenal, and warne... More

Does Trump worry you? US Muslims say yes : Survey

Survey finds Muslims feel out of place in society, displeased with their president, and are targets of discrimination. The early days of Donald Tru... More

DEATH TO ISIS:Thousands flood streets in furious protest to condemn terror group

Thousands of protesters chanted slogans against the militant Islamic State group Wednesday as they carried the coffins of victims of an attack targeti... More

China says restrained in face of India

BEIJING: China accused India on Wednesday of “concocting” excuses over the illegal entry of the South Asian nation’s military into C... More

COAS, Afghan envoy discuss border issues

ISLAMABAD: Army Chief Gen Qamar Bajwa met Afghanistan’s ambassador Dr Omar Zakhilwal on Wednesday for continuing discussions on normalisation of... More

Apple removes VPN services from Chinese app store

BEIJING: Apple has removed software allowing internet users to skirt China’s “Great Firewall” from its app store in the country, the... More

IS claims attack on Iraq embassy in Kabul

A suicide bomber blew himself up outside the Iraqi embassy in Kabul on Monday and militants breached the compound in a complex hours-long attack claim... More

Saudi-led bloc opens emergency routes to Qatari planes

DUBAI: Four Arab states that have cut diplomatic and transport ties with Qatar said on Monday that they have opened up air routes that Qatari planes c... More

83