Gaza fighting resumes despite ceasefire deal

2014-08-01 05:49:14 | Al Muslim News
Gaza fighting resumes despite ceasefire deal

 

Dozens of Palestinians have been killed just hours into a ceasefire in the Gaza Strip, medics say, after Israel and Hamas agreed to a 72-hour pause in fighting. There was an immediate lull in fighting as the truce began at 8am local time (05:00 GMT) on Friday. However, less than three hours later, medics reported deaths in the south of the Palestinian territory. They said at least 40 people were killed as Israeli tanks fired shells into eastern Rafah. Al Jazeera's Charles Stratford, reporting from the southern village of Khuzaa, said Israeli tank shelling was incessant. "There is absolutely no sign of a ceasefire in Khuzaa," he said. There were also rocket alarms sounding in Israel's Eshkol region, signalling that rockets had been fired from Gaza. Gunfire, reportedly from snipers, could be heard east of Gaza City. Al Jazeera's Imtiaz Tyab, reporting from the eastern district of Shujayea, saw a large plume of smoke rising over the area. "We can only assume that it was either an Israeli air strike or a drone strike," he said. Israeli media reported that Israel had called off the ceasefire, but there was no confirmation from the government. Before the ceasefire officially started, 14 people were killed in the Gaza Strip, according to medics. For its part, the Israeli army said five of its soldiers had died in mortar fire near the Gaza border. Hopes of an end to the bloodshed had risen early on Friday after US Secretary of State John Kerry announced that Israel and Hamas had agreed to a joint UN-US ceasefire proposal. Both sides swiftly confirmed their commitment to the truce, after 25 days of bloody confrontation. While the proposal was accepted by Hamas, a spokesman stressed it was dependent on Israel reciprocating. "Hamas and all the resistance movements have accepted a 72-hour humanitarian ceasefire from 8:00am on Friday which will be respected by all these movements if the other party also observes the ceasefire," Fawzi Barhum was quoted as saying by the AFP news agency. At least 1,464 Palestinians, most of them civilians, have been killed since Israel launched its offensive. Sixty-four Israeli soldiers have been killed, in addition to three civilians killed by rockets fired from Gaza. Ceasefire talks Hours before the ceasefire was announced, Israeli Prime Minister Netanyahu, facing international alarm over a rising civilian death toll in Gaza, said he would not accept any truce that stopped Israel from completing the destruction of tunnels dug under the border by Palestinian fighters. According to a statement by Kerry and UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon, forces on the ground would remain in place during the ceasefire. Israel and Palestinian delegations in the meantime will travel to Cairo for separate negotiations to reach a more durable ceasefire, the statement said. A senior US State Department official said talks could start as early as Friday, depending on how long it takes the parties to reach Cairo. "Our understanding is that the Israelis will make clear to the UN where their lines are, roughly, and they will continue to do operations to destroy tunnels that pose a threat to Israeli territory that lead from the Gaza strip into Israel proper as long as those tunnels exist on the Israel side of their lines," the official added. Hamas has already said it would not accept such a condition. "The ceasefire is conditioned with Israeli forces stopping all military operations and activities on the ground," said Hamas spokesman Ghazi Hamad told Al Jazeera from Beirut. “It's our right to defend ourselves and to take measures...to stop any aggression." Israeli and Palestinian negotiators heading to Cairo for formal talks will do so at different times: the Palestinians are expected to leave Friday mid-day, and the Israeli side after the Jewish Sabbath, on Saturday evening. Twelve Palestinians form the delegation heading to the Egyptian capital. Three of them will travel from Gaza, and the rest from the occupied West Bank and elsewhere in the region. The delegation will include five Hamas members and two representatives of the Palestinian Authority and Fatah. Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas will not be heading to Cairo, but he was involved in picking the delegation members..

Tags: #

Latest News

What to Next

Russian foreign minister says US ready to continue talks

MOSCOW: Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said on Sunday he believed his US colleagues were ready to continue dialogue with Moscow on complex iss... More

BJP keen to amend law on permanent residence in held Kashmir

NEW DELHI: Away from the attention that Article 370 attracts, some members and supporters of the Bha­ratiya Janata Party (BJP) are steadily pushin... More

North Korea defiant after new sanctions, rejects talks

SEOUL (AFP):North Korea on Monday angrily insisted tough new United Nations sanctions would not stop it from developing its nuclear arsenal, and warne... More

Does Trump worry you? US Muslims say yes : Survey

Survey finds Muslims feel out of place in society, displeased with their president, and are targets of discrimination. The early days of Donald Tru... More

DEATH TO ISIS:Thousands flood streets in furious protest to condemn terror group

Thousands of protesters chanted slogans against the militant Islamic State group Wednesday as they carried the coffins of victims of an attack targeti... More

China says restrained in face of India

BEIJING: China accused India on Wednesday of “concocting” excuses over the illegal entry of the South Asian nation’s military into C... More

COAS, Afghan envoy discuss border issues

ISLAMABAD: Army Chief Gen Qamar Bajwa met Afghanistan’s ambassador Dr Omar Zakhilwal on Wednesday for continuing discussions on normalisation of... More

Apple removes VPN services from Chinese app store

BEIJING: Apple has removed software allowing internet users to skirt China’s “Great Firewall” from its app store in the country, the... More

IS claims attack on Iraq embassy in Kabul

A suicide bomber blew himself up outside the Iraqi embassy in Kabul on Monday and militants breached the compound in a complex hours-long attack claim... More

Saudi-led bloc opens emergency routes to Qatari planes

DUBAI: Four Arab states that have cut diplomatic and transport ties with Qatar said on Monday that they have opened up air routes that Qatari planes c... More

83