Gaza fighting resumes after ceasefire ends

2014-08-08 22:53:38 | Al Muslim News
Gaza fighting resumes after ceasefire ends

 

Israel has hit the Gaza Strip with missiles and artillery for the first time in three days, while Palestinian fighters launched a barrage of rockets at Israel, just hours after a ceasefire between the two sides expired. An Israeli air strike killed a 10-year-old child in Gaza City, the first death reported since a 72-hour truce expired at 8am (05:00 GMT), while three others were killed in a drone strike in the Khan Younis district, Palestinian medics said on Friday. The number of injured in the last 10 hours were also up from six to 22. The Israeli army said that as of Friday afternoon, more than 45 rockets were fired into southern Israel after the truce ended. Three of the rockets were intercepted by the Iron Dome missile defence system. Two Israelis were wounded, the army said.Following renewed rocket launching at Israel, the IDF [Israel Defence Forces] targeted terror sites across the Gaza Strip," a statement from the military read. At least one teenager was also killed in the West Bank. More than 2,500 people demonstrated in the Palestinian territory on Friday against the Gaza operation, Al Jazeera's Dalia Hatuqa, reporting from Ramallah, said. Thousands of Palestinians fled their homes east of Gaza City amid the renewed Israeli attacks, witnesses reported. The ceasefire expired as no progress was made in the Egyptian-mediated talks aimed at finding a durable solution to the month-long fighting. Talks among the main Palestinian factions in Cairo were still ongoing on Friday. "They are discussing with the Egyptians the demands that haven't been met and the sticking points in the negotiations," Al Jazeera's Nisreen El-Shamayleh, reporting from West Jerusalem, said. She added that Israel had pulled out of the talks early on Friday, before the ceasefire expired. Among the top demands are the lifting of the blockade in Gaza and the opening of the Gaza port. Earlier this week, Israel had said it was ready to "indefinitely" extend the ceasefire. "We understand from senior Israeli officials that Israel would not continue the negotiations while it is coming under fire, and that these negotiations would remain frozen as long as Hamas and other Palestinian factions are firing rockets," our correspondent said. "It seems that the Israelis, for now, are boycotting the talks," she said. Despite the withdrawal of all its troops from Gaza by the time the three-day truce began early on Tuesday, Israel has retained forces along the border, ready to respond to any resumption of fighting. Four weeks of military assault on Gaza has claimed the lives of at least 1,893 Palestinians, according to Gaza officials. UN figures indicate that 73 percent of the Palestinian victims were civilians. Of that number, at least 429 were children. On the Israeli side, three civilians were killed by rockets fired from Gaza while at least 64 soldiers died in the fighting. Ayman Taha, a former spokesman for Hamas - the son of one of the group's founders - was found dead on Thursday in a neighbourhood of Gaza City that was heavily bombed by Israel, the movement said. Speaking in Jerusalem after a visit to Gaza, International Committee of the Red Cross president Peter Maurer said he was "deeply distressed and shocked" at the impact of violence, saying the scale of the civilian losses must not happen again. He also suggested there may have been violations of international humanitarian law..

Tags: #

Latest News

What to Next

Russian foreign minister says US ready to continue talks

MOSCOW: Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said on Sunday he believed his US colleagues were ready to continue dialogue with Moscow on complex iss... More

BJP keen to amend law on permanent residence in held Kashmir

NEW DELHI: Away from the attention that Article 370 attracts, some members and supporters of the Bha­ratiya Janata Party (BJP) are steadily pushin... More

North Korea defiant after new sanctions, rejects talks

SEOUL (AFP):North Korea on Monday angrily insisted tough new United Nations sanctions would not stop it from developing its nuclear arsenal, and warne... More

Does Trump worry you? US Muslims say yes : Survey

Survey finds Muslims feel out of place in society, displeased with their president, and are targets of discrimination. The early days of Donald Tru... More

DEATH TO ISIS:Thousands flood streets in furious protest to condemn terror group

Thousands of protesters chanted slogans against the militant Islamic State group Wednesday as they carried the coffins of victims of an attack targeti... More

China says restrained in face of India

BEIJING: China accused India on Wednesday of “concocting” excuses over the illegal entry of the South Asian nation’s military into C... More

COAS, Afghan envoy discuss border issues

ISLAMABAD: Army Chief Gen Qamar Bajwa met Afghanistan’s ambassador Dr Omar Zakhilwal on Wednesday for continuing discussions on normalisation of... More

Apple removes VPN services from Chinese app store

BEIJING: Apple has removed software allowing internet users to skirt China’s “Great Firewall” from its app store in the country, the... More

IS claims attack on Iraq embassy in Kabul

A suicide bomber blew himself up outside the Iraqi embassy in Kabul on Monday and militants breached the compound in a complex hours-long attack claim... More

Saudi-led bloc opens emergency routes to Qatari planes

DUBAI: Four Arab states that have cut diplomatic and transport ties with Qatar said on Monday that they have opened up air routes that Qatari planes c... More

83