Bomb Blast in Turkish capital , More than 30 killed, 125 injured

2016-03-14 05:10:14 | m usman@Almuslim News
Bomb Blast in Turkish capital , More than 30 killed, 125 injured
turkey Ankara bomb blasts spot

 

 Turkish Health Minister Mehmet Muezzinoglu confirmed the death from Sunday night’s car bomb attack in Ankara’s central Kizilay neighborhood is 34 dead with 125 injured. Muezzinoglu said: “Thirty-four died; 30 at the blast scene and four at the hospitals.”

 

He also said that at least one or two of the dead bodies recovered from the blast site are believed to be those of the assailants who carried out the attack using a bomb-laden vehicle.

“There are a total of 125 patients under treatment at hospitals; 19 of them remain in serious conditions. We have seven patients in surgery. Most other patients may be released from the hospital this [Sunday] night, when their treatment gets completed,” the minister said.

Turkish Interior Minister Efkan Ala, who also attended the security meeting, said: “The terror attack was carried out by a moving bomb-laden vehicle, which targeted civilian citizens waiting at the bus stop.”

Ankara Governor’s Office said in a statement earlier that a car exploded near a bus stop in Ankara’s central Kizilay neighborhood at 6.45 p.m. local time (1645 GMT) Sunday evening.

After the blast, several fire-fighting trucks and ambulances were seen rushing towards the scene. Pedestrians and vehicles were barred from Kizilay Square, while a police helicopter hovered above. Some vehicles were damaged in the incident.

Security forces also evacuated the area in case of a second blast in the same place.

Ankara Governor Mehmet Kiliclar also surveyed the blast area.

Meanwhile, Prime Minister Davutoglu postponed his official visit to Jordan scheduled Tuesday following the Ankara blast.

The Turkish premier in a statement said the government has concrete information about the terrorist organization behind the Ankara attack, which will be revealed to the public once the investigation ends.

This Coward attack targets Turkey as a whole, as well as our peace, unity and democracy. The Republic of Turkey will pursue its fight against terror for the unity and peace of the nation with determination and the treacherous powers that target our country will be severely punished,” he added.

Earlier, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan spoke with Interior Minister Efkan Ala over the phone, who briefed him about the incident.

 

.

Tags: #Anti-Islam #Anti-Muslim #Terrorism #Turkey #

Latest News

What to Next

French fire forces evacuation of 10,000 people

Wildfires have already consumed swathes of forest in tourist-packed southeastern France in recent days, as well as on the island of Corsica. The ne... More

No victory in Afghanistan without Pakistan support:US military chief

WASHINGTON: Recent experiences indicate that the United States cannot win the war in Afghanistan without Pakistan’s support, says US military ch... More

Al-Aqsa Mosque dispute poised to become a religious conflict, UN envoy warns

The UN envoy on Middle East peace has warned that developments over the past 11 days in and around the al-Aqsa Mosque compound in East Jerusalem have ... More

Rebel ambush kills 28 regime fighters near Damascus

BEIRUT: At least 28 Syrian government soldiers and pro-regime fighters were killed on Wednesday in a rebel ambush in the Eastern Ghouta region ne... More

Remove Jerusalem metal detectors, Erdogan tells Israeli counterpart

ISTANBUL: Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan on Thursday urged his Israeli counterpart Reuven Rivlin to swiftly remove metal detectors that have o... More

Thousands protest in Amman over Israeli measures in Jerusalem

Thousands of protesters took to the streets of the Jordanian capital on Friday to condemn Israel's latest security measures at a highly sensitive ... More

By embracing Russia,Trump bumps up against top advisers

WASHINGTON: President Donald Trump’s persistent overtures towards Russia are placing him increasingly at odds with his national security and for... More

Dubai legal firm confirms legality of documents showing PM's employment status: report

A UAE-based legal firm has verified the contents of a report submitted to the Supreme Court by the joint investigation team (JIT), which states that P... More

Iran's president threatens response to new US sanctions

Iranian President Hassan Rouhani said Wednesday that Tehran would “respond appropriately” to new US sanctions but that Iran remained commi... More

UAE denies Washington Post report it orchestrated Qatar hack

The United Arab Emirates has denied a Washington Post report that claims the country orchestrated a hack of Qatari state news and social media website... More

81