The United Nations on Monday released a “List of Shame” of children’s rights violators but did not include Israel, despite an outcry over the death of more than 500 children in the Gaza bombardment, AFP reported.
Rights groups had called on Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon to add Israel to the list, and there was much debate among UN agencies ahead of the final decision that rested with the UN chief. IINA reported.
Ban decided that last year’s list would remain unchanged, but said he was “deeply alarmed” by the “grave violations suffered by children as a result of Israeli military operations in 2014.” “The unprecedented and unacceptable scale of the impact on children in 2014 raises grave concerns about Israel’s compliance with international humanitarian law, notably the principles of distinction, proportionality and precaution in attack, and respect for international human rights law, particularly in relation to excessive use of force,” he said.
The UN chief admitted a “dramatic increase” in the number of children killed by Israel forces in Israel and in the Palestinian territories in 2014. At least 561 children (557 Palestinian, four Israeli) were killed and 4,271 injured (4,249 Palestinian and 22 Israeli) last year. UN spokesman Stephane Dujarric stressed that “the report is more than the list” and that the document lays out concerns about the plight of children in the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.
The decision was roundly criticized by the Palestinians. “The failure to list Israel as a violator of child rights, when it so clearly meets the criteria, will only further embolden such impunity, resulting in more suffering for innocent Palestinian children,” said Palestinian representative Riyad Mansour. Human Rights Watch had called on Ban to add Israel and the Palestinian Islamist movement Hamas to the list, which calls on listed countries and groups to take measures to protect children.
HRW regretted the “disappointing” decision and noted that the UN envoy for children in conflict, Algerian Leila Zerrougui, had recommended that Israel and Hamas be blacklisted. “Facts and consistency dictated that both be included on the list, but political pressure seems to have prevailed,” said HRW crisis advocacy director Philippe Bolopion. The current list has 51 groups, including Boko Haram and the Daesh group, as well as the armed forces from eight countries such as Syria, Yemen, the Democratic Republic of Congo and South Sudan.. Tags: #
MOSCOW: Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said on Sunday he believed his US colleagues were ready to continue dialogue with Moscow on complex iss... More
NEW DELHI: Away from the attention that Article 370 attracts, some members and supporters of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) are steadily pushin... More
SEOUL (AFP):North Korea on Monday angrily insisted tough new United Nations sanctions would not stop it from developing its nuclear arsenal, and warne... More
Thousands of protesters chanted slogans against the militant Islamic State group Wednesday as they carried the coffins of victims of an attack targeti... More
DUBAI: Four Arab states that have cut diplomatic and transport ties with Qatar said on Monday that they have opened up air routes that Qatari planes c... More